Monday, May 05, 2008

Obama's Lack of Integrity Should Be Troubling

The Wright affair really points to the calculating political nature of Obama; say what it takes to keep hope alive!!

Interesting analysis from the LA Times:

'...late 1980s, she (Oprah Winfrey) was an infrequent attendee at Trinity's services, and by the early 1990s she had stopped going altogether.

According to a revealing article, headlined "Something Wasn't Wright," in the new Newsweek by Allison Samuels, a major reason was Winfrey's concern with Wright's inflammatory sermons, her association with them through church membership and the potential impact on her widespread popularity.'

'Questions have arisen over why Obama, as an astute budding politician, would have remained in the same church environment for 20 years, and when Wright's shocking sermon snippets initially emerged weeks ago, would deny having heard them.

He clearly was aware of the danger of association with Wright, having disinvited the pastor from giving the public invocation at Obama's campaign announcement in Springfield in February of 2007 because, reportedly, Obama said Wright's sermons could come across as a little "rough."

Yet in his recent speech on race in Philadelphia, Obama said: "As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He strengthens my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children. I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can disown my white grandmother."

Yet five weeks later, after Wright's National Press Club speech and news conference performance, Obama had this to say: "I am outraged by the comments that were made, and saddened over the spectacle that we saw yesterday. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate.

"They offend me, they rightly offend all Americans, and they should be denounced. And that's what I'm doing very clearly and unequivocally here today."

Tim Russert on "Meet the Press" on Sunday asked Obama about defending Wright a full year after he indicated Wright's words could be trouble for his campaign, and what he'd learned in the five weeks between his Philadelphia remarks and last week's denunciation of Wright. The same question has been raised by numerous Ticket commenters in recent weeks.'

No comments: